Welcome to Step 4: Profit Forums ONLINE MARKETING DISCUSSIONS – LEARN HERE Why You Need to Define Your Target Audience

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diana
    Keymaster

targeting-audience

What Is a Target Audience?

A target audience is a specific group of people who are most likely to buy your product or service. Very often, they are defined by demographic factors such as their age, gender, income or job.

For example, if you sell products to stop snoring, you may want to appeal to wives of overweight men over the age of 40, who are bothered by the noise, can afford what you sell and who live in an area you can ship to.

Why Is a Target Audience Important?

The simple answer to that question is that the channels, language, and information you use to connect with your audience might not be as effective with one demographic as it is with another. Finding your target audience definition will help you to create a tone of voice that speaks to your customer.

Essentially, understanding your target audience will give you direction for your marketing. It will also help to be more focused and consistent in your messaging, which helps you earn the trust of your customers. 

If you’re a business owner, you might not have the time or resources to conduct a full target audience analysis. The good news is that it’s not as difficult as it sounds. You can start by identifying your target audience definition and then build out from there.

The best way to do this is to ask yourself some questions about your ideal customer. 

• What does she look like? 
    • Where does she live? 
    • What kind of income does she make? 
    • What is her job title?
    • Is she married, single, divorced, other? Does she have kids?
    • What are her problems?
    • What keeps her up at night?
    • What does she need, what are her dreams?
    • Where does she hang out online – what social media websites?

These are the types of questions you should ask yourself when defining your target audience definition.

Once you have a clear picture of who your target audience is, you can start to think about how you can reach them in the most effective way possible. 

That said, not all businesses are created equal when it comes to their target audiences. Some businesses may be more difficult to define than others because they appeal to so many different groups of people at once, whereas other businesses may only appeal to one specific group of people.

Three Types of Target Audience Profiles to Consider

Age-Based Target Audience Profile 

People of different ages behave in sometimes very different ways. 

And remember that it’s not always the person you want to target who will use your product. If you are conducting a target audience analysis because you want to sell diapers, your target audience will include parents, not infants. 

In other words, target the buyer, not the user.

If you don’t know the age range of your customers (as in this case), try to keep your target market as small as possible. If you sell software for enterprise-level, find out the most common ages of potential CEOs in your industry. This helps you craft promotional strategies that appeal to the appropriate age range.

Geographical or “Local” Target Audience

Few brands can afford to target customers from around the world, unless you offer digital products or services. Even then, the larger the audience (world-wide versus the state of Oklahoma), the more competition you will face when you try to earn attention.

It may be smart to think about how you can reach local customers. How far can you afford to travel to offer services, and what’s the maximum distance for shipping your products?

Personality-Driven Target Audiences

Another important factor to consider is personality. An understanding of your ideal client’s personality should be obvious in all your marketing campaigns.

It’s important to consider what your customer values when you are identifying your target audience. What do your clients do with their spare time? What are their concerns? If you decide that you want to connect with a generation of millennials who care about social responsibility, then you might be more inclined to show off your ethical side.

Your Target Audience Persona

It may be helpful to use all the information that you’re gathering to create a buyer or user persona (or two.) Bring in your entire team when you flesh this out. Your customer service manager may see things differently than your social media manager! 

These personas will function as avatars that you can refer to when you’re making big decisions about future marketing or company direction. For instance, if you plan to start a new marketing initiative or add a new product, you can decide whether this direction will suit your personas.

Personas include the audience demographics we mentioned above when we were talking about customer characteristics. You might even want to give them a name!

In short, taking the time and energy to understand your ideal customer as specifically as possible will help you make more sales, more quickly, and keep you from wasting your money and time. 

This target “persona” may evolve as your business grows. Just make sure to keep it front-and-center in all your marketing.

Related Post:
    During a Gold Rush, Sell Shovels

Case Studies Expert | Google News Expert | Domain Expert | I Make Websites Work Harder

Simple 1 Page Case Studies

robbyz
    Participant

Marcus, I made a fb post about this and Diana suggested I ask the Q in the forum.

How do you go about doing audience research and niche research? It’s my biggest stumbling block. I have a solid methodology for ranking websites but not one for discovering audiences and niches.

Is there any in depth training on this topic that you’d recommend or softwares/tools that help flesh out audience and niches?

TIA

Marcus
    Keymaster

Are you asking to find out where to find an audience for a specific niche?

Get YIVESuite Bundle - All YIVE tools in one low price.

robbyz
    Participant

I’m asking how to even begin with niche and audience research. How to start from scratch and end with a reliable understanding of a profitable niche which isn’t overly competitive and an appropriate audience. That process is extremely blurry and not standardized for me at all. And because of it, I have a hard time getting started with new projects. I hope that helps you understand where I’m coming from.

Marcus
    Keymaster

OK, I will give you my “hack” when I’m stuck for a niche.

I will go to any store with a magazine rack, or Google “popular magazines” and visit them online.

When I look at magazines I see the type of content people are reading (and paying a subscription for) and what kind of advertisers there are for them (its not cheap to run ads in magazines.)

I can usually find 4 or 5 relatively low competition niches that have advertisers. I do some research and see what keyword competition looks like.

If the keywords are product-oriented I will look for affiliate product options. If the keywords are more content-oriented then I will monetize with ads.

Once you do this a few times you will find lots of niche ideas that let you dominate and make money.

Get YIVESuite Bundle - All YIVE tools in one low price.

Diana
    Keymaster

Also IMO don’t expect to find a single perfect niche. Just pick something that looks pretty good, based on the criteria Marcus gave you, and go for it. Follow what Marcus teaches about building an authority site.

Many affiliate marketers have multiple sites in multiple niches, and most people go through a learning curve when they’re starting out.

Case Studies Expert | Google News Expert | Domain Expert | I Make Websites Work Harder

Simple 1 Page Case Studies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.